Having prepared questions will make meeting anyone easier. Write several down and put them in your pocket so you don’t forget. Here are some you can ask when you’re networking or when you meet with your mentor. These are only a start. What else would you like to know?
Questions you should ask:
• What was your experience getting into college?
• Did you consider attending any other college?
• What was the most valuable thing you learned in college?
• What was your first job out of college?
• How can I best prepare for my first job out of college?
• How did you get to this point in your career?
• What was your worst failure in school? Career?
• What advice would you give me if I were considering going into (the industry or job you’d like to know more about)?
• What’s a typical workday like for you?
• What are the most important skills needed to do your job?
• What experiences or classes do you think would be most valuable?
• Do you have any suggestions for how I can get more experience?
• In your industry, where’s the greatest demand for employees?
• Is there anything you wish someone had taught you earlier in your career?
• What’s the most valuable advice your mentor gave you?
• Is there anyone else you think I should talk to?