What are the most important questions to ask on a campus tour? Here are some you should ask:
• Is there a core curriculum? How restrictive or broad is it?
• Is study abroad encouraged?
• What are the most popular majors?
• How accessible are the faculty and staff? How well do they get to know students?
• Is there guaranteed housing for freshmen? Where do upperclassmen live?
• Are there laundry and kitchen facilities?
• Do many students go home on weekends, leaving the campus deserted?
• If they stay on campus, how do students spend their leisure time?
• How accessible are the athletic and recreational facilities for non-intercollegiate athletics?
• What is the average financial aid package for the freshman year? For the remaining school years?
• What is the placement record for jobs and/or graduate school in my chosen field?
• Are campus buildings new? If not, are the older buildings in good shape? How well are the grounds maintained?
• How appealing are the residence facilities? Is there an adequate number? Are they well lit? Are there safety features such as fire escapes, limited entry, etc.?
• Is the main eating facility inviting, clean and well managed? What are the hours and food choices?
• Are there modern computer labs and equipment?
• Where is the campus clinic located and is it well staffed and equipped?
• Is public transportation available and where is the nearest airport and/or train station located?