Ask a rep – How do I apply to a Canadian school?

You’ll have lots of choices if you plan to study at a Canadian college or university.

Ask a rep – How do I apply to a Canadian school?

Q: How do I apply to a Canadian school?

A: There are 90 universities and degree granting colleges that are members of the Association of universities and Colleges of Canada. There are more than 10,000 undergraduate and graduate degree programs offered in Canada, plus professional degree programs and certificates.

Regardless of program, Canadian degrees are globally recognized and considered equivalent to American and other Commonwealth university degrees.

Application deadlines vary among Canadian universities. For September admission, students should apply in the previous January through March.

For January admission, students should apply in the previous September. It is generally recommended that international students apply to attend a Canadian university eight months in advance.

Criteria for admission vary among universities and according to the desired program of study, but generally the institutions within each province have a similar approach.

There is no nationwide set of entrance exams in Canada – students are assessed individually against the particular institution’s entrance requirements. The emphasis for the admission of students is primarily on the academic record, while other factors, such as extracurricular activities, play a supporting role on an application. This approach may differ somewhat from the selection process of a competitive U.S. college.

Graduation from a secondary school and good academic standing are typically the minimum requirements for undergraduate study. Check with the admissions office of each institution for SAT and GPA requirements.

Q: What else should I know?
Scholarships are generally awarded on the basis of academic achievement. Universities in some provinces may offer scholarships based on athletic and academic merit, and others have renewable entrance scholarships based on entrance grade average.

If English or French is not your mother tongue, you will need to show proficiency in the language in which you will be studying.

U.S. students or permanent residents intending to study for more than six months do not need to apply for a study permit through a Canadian consulate. They can apply at the port of entry as long as they have a letter of acceptance.

Some schools require SAT I and/or II results to qualify for admission.


Trending Articles

Your Path College Search

Register Step 1 of 2

* Indicates required fields.
Add Interest

By pressing the continue button, I hereby consent to receive autodialed and/or pre-recorded calls from NextStepU and their partners, regarding their products and services, at the phone number above. I understand that consent is not a condition for attending any school.

  • Oops! Seems there were some errors above..

Login Required

  • Your Path

    Your Path

    Get customized college, life and career planning with step-by-step instruction and resources, all catered specifically to you.

    Register FreeSign In
  • Scholarships

    Scholarship Search

    Find over 2.2 million scholarships catered to a wide variety of your interests and strengths.

    Register FreeSign In
Search for more than 2.2 million scholarships!